1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon fresh granular active bakers yeast
1-1/2 Tablespoons grated ginger
Juice of whole lemon (optional)
1. Put sugar in a 2
liter plastic bottle using a funnel.
2. Add bakers yeast and shake to mix.
3. Place grated ginger in a cup measure and add lemon juice. Stir to form a slurry and pour into bottle.
4. Rinse cup measure with clean water and add to bottle, rinsing out funnel in the process. Shake to distribute
5. Fill bottle with water leaving about 1 inch head space, securely screw cap and invert to dissolve sugar.
6. Place in warm location for 24 to 48 hours. Test to see if carbonation is complete by squeezing the bottle forcefully with your thumb. If it indents (see picture on website) it is not ready.
7. Once bottle feels hard to a forceful squeeze, usually 24-48 hours, place in refrigerator until chilled thoroughly. Open carefully to release pressure slowly. Filter if desired to remove ginger. There will also be sediment at bottom of grated ginger and yeast.